Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Grameen Bank headquarters visit

We walked about half a mile to the Grameen Bank headquarters today for our orientation meeting. We saw several informational videos and were briefed on our village stay which will begin on Sunday. On our walk to Grameen Bank, you would not believe how people would stare at us and we were walking along. I realize that I am a minority in this country and no matter where you go, minorities always stand out.Also the smell is very pungent as there are open sewers which run beside the sidewalk. Trash in piled in heaps as well. One woman was picking through the trash. It's a common site here.
   We have had several members of our group not feeling so well. The heat, the smell, the food is causing a few problems. So far I have been fine. I have been careful to eat food that is not too spicy and drinking plenty of water. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself by saying that. :)
  Tomorrow we are doing a day trip to a village to see how things work, and get a chance to talk to some of the borrowers. I am looking forward to it.
  My body seems to be aclimated to the time change. I had a good night's sleep and am not feeling too tired yet. Since we are getting up early, I will probably go to bed fairly early again.
   There is so much to process and tell. I will write more later.

1 comment: